There are situations in which we ask you to give us information about yourself. We collect, hold, and use your personal information only when you have given us permission to do so. Personal information means personally identifiable data such as your name, email address, and password.
In order to access certain areas of the Site, you must first create an account with a username and password. During registration, we will ask you for certain personal information such as your name, email address, username, and password to process the application. We use this information to set up an account and send you a welcome email.
Payments to members
Commission payments made by Backpack Forever to its affiliate members are made through PayPal. Certain information is necessary to complete these transactions such as the member’s contact information and PayPal account details. If we have trouble processing a payment, we will use this information to contact you.
Each time a visitor comes to backpackforever.com, our servers -- like most on the Web -- collect some basic technical information, including, for example, the visitor’s domain name (e.g., whether the user is logged on from aol.com or yahoo.com), referral data (e.g., the address of the last URL a user visited prior to clicking through backpackforever.com) and browser and platform type (e.g., a Netscape browser on a Macintosh platform).
We also count, track, and aggregate the visitor’s activity into our analysis of general traffic flows at our Site (e.g., recording where traffic comes from, how traffic flows within the Site, etc.). To these ends, we may merge information about visitors and visits into group data, which may then be shared on an aggregated basis with our advertisers; but we will not disclose your individual identity or personal information without your permission. When we do present aggregated information to outside companies, no one will be able to identify you or contact you.
Other companies which place advertising on our Site also have the ability to assign their cookies to you in a process that Backpack Forever does not control.
You can contribute to the Site in a number of different ways, including sharing knowledge, articles, writing reviews, uploading photos, and filling out your public profile. We may store these contributions (your "Public Content"), display them to other users, and use them for promotional purposes. Note that if you include personally identifiable information in your Public Content, it can be used and viewed by others. We are not responsible for the information you choose to include in your Public Content. When providing contact information for other people, you should obtain the consent of those individuals prior to providing their personal information on the Site.
"Email a friend" feature
Backpack Forever offers an “email a friend about this story” feature, allowing site visitors to send emails to friends to inform them about an article they might be interested in reading. In order for this feature to function, we ask for email addresses for the recipient (so we know who to mail the message to) and from the sender (so we can tell the recipient who sent the email). We do not store or save these addresses and you will not receive email or other communications from Backpack Forever or its partners as a result of having used this feature.
"Email a friend about this story" is a mail service that individual visitors to Backpack Forever make use of to send individual emails. While this tool cannot be used to send mass “spam” mailings, Backpack Forever has no control over how our visitors use it, and any email sent through it originates with, and is the responsibility of, the sender and not Backpack Forever.
Competitions, promotions, and surveys
Backpack Forever will from time to time sponsor sweepstakes, contests, or other events which require the collection, processing, and storage of individual contact and demographic information (e.g., your age and state of residence) to be used for the event. Backpack Forever may also co-sponsor these events along with other companies, in which case the user’s individual contact and demographic information is likely to be shared with other participating sponsors, who may use this information as they wish. A registrant’s personal contact and demographic information will not be released to any third-party organization other than named sponsors without the user’s consent, and Backpack Forever will request that such named sponsors uphold the privacy of the registrants’ information by not distributing or sharing such information with any other businesses or organizations.
We may contact you with travel- and service-related announcements and offers from time to time. If you would like to remove your name and email address from these updates and promotional notices, you can send an email requesting removal to email@example.com.
Backpack Forever may also conduct voluntary surveys of visitors to the Site from time to time to obtain information about them such as aggregate demographic information. Such information may be compiled and shared in the aggregate with advertisers and other third parties, but no personal details will be traceable or associated with specific individuals.
You should feel free to give us feedback, register a complaint, or ask questions about the Site. We may store your communications, including any personal information you include in them, so that we can effectively respond to you.
Transfer of information
- Public Content. If you post content for public view on the Site, we may distribute such Public Content to a wider audience by sharing it (or portions of it) with third parties so that they can publish it on their own websites and media platforms. We may ask them to credit you as the source of these contributions by including your account name and profile photo.
- Third party service providers. We may use third parties to provide technical and customer support, perform tracking and reporting functions, conduct quality assurance testing, perform payment processing and provide other services in connection with the Site. We may share information about you with them so that they can perform the services they are required to perform, but they are not permitted to use your personal information other than to provide the services requested by you.
- Third party advertising. Third parties serve some of the ads on the Site. We do not send any individualized personal information to them, but they may have access to information that they obtain through cookies or that you share with them yourself. You can opt-out of some these practices by visiting the Network Advertising Initiative's opt-out page here, and Omniture's opt-out page here. Note that we do not rent, share, sell or trade personally identifiable information with third parties for their direct marketing purposes.
- Aggregate information. We may share non-personal information in the aggregate to third parties relating to user behavior in connection with actual or prospective business relationship with those third parties, such as advertisers and content distributors. For example, we may disclose the number of users that have been exposed to, or clicked on, advertising banners.
- Business transfers. We may share your information with our parent company, subsidiaries, joint ventures, or other companies under a common control that we may have now or in the future, in which case we will require them to honor this policy.
Managing your information
The Site may contain links to third party websites with which we have no affiliation. Except as set forth herein, we do not share your personal information with those third parties, and are not responsible for their privacy practices. We suggest you read the privacy policies on all such third party websites.
Visiting the Site from outside the U.S.
If you are visiting our website from outside the U.S., please be aware that your information may be transferred to, stored, and processed in the U.S. where our servers are located and our central database is operated. The data protection and other laws of the U.S. and other countries might not be as comprehensive as those in your country, or the country where you access the Site, but please be assured that Backpack Forever does take steps pursuant to laws in the U.S. to ensure your privacy is protected. By using our services, you understand that your information may be transferred to our facilities and those third parties with whom we share it as described in this policy.
The security of your personal information is important to us. Backpack Forever has in place proper security measures to protect your personal information. No method of transmission over the Internet, or method of electronic storage, is 100% secure, however. Therefore, while we strive to use commercially acceptable means to protect your personal information, we cannot guarantee its absolute security.
Protecting children’s privacy
Protecting the privacy of the very young is important to us. For that reason, we do not collect or maintain information from those we actually know are under 13, and no part of our Site is structured to attract anyone under 13. If we become aware that a child under 13 has provided us with personal information without parental consent, we take steps to remove such information and terminate the child’s account.
Transfer in the event of sale or change of control
If you have any further questions or concerns about Backpack Forever’s privacy policies and use of personal information, please send them to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Last Updated: 08/01/2012